This photo was taken last summer, inside the Thinkhouse Collective. I had just moved the Citizen HQ into the Thinkhouse, and was enjoying the afternoon sun. I was neophyte to Instagram. As you can see, I was indulging in my fascination with fascinators, enjoying my gorgeous hand-made Piccolo Red Rose hat, made for me by "Dr. Stacy," a multi-talented woman with a soft spot for vintage.
My latest incarnation takes place beneath a blossoming crown of ruby red dyed hair, shot in front of a place aptly enough called the Copper Gate. I'm feeling every bit a summer rose blooming madly in this gorgeous spot of earth called Seattle. While I feel very much the same, I can also feel/see the differences between my present and former selves, with the last few years chronicled on this blog. "I'm the very same girl," I think, as I review these former versions of myself, I just have more tree-rings. More marks of history in the form of grey hairs, wrinkles and laugh lines to be sure, but worn with more ease and confidence than I've ever felt before in my life.
If I were to offer any words of advice to a younger self, I would offer the following:
1) Don't wait for happiness. Never think that happiness will come in the future if you're not holding onto some of it now. Don't fool yourself and say: I'll be happy IF... I were....(fill in the blank: a size 2, an straight A student, a pro wrestler) or HAD... (a brand new Prada, a new sports car, the newest iPhone, or that man) because THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. No-one and no-thing will ever MAKE you happy. You CHOOSE to be happy- now and not later. If you're not willing to savor whatever little bit of happiness you've got in your present, you won't grasp a hold of it for later.
2) Be comfortable in your own skin. You are WHO you are, so get used to it. Be the best YOU that you can possibly be, and savor all the good bits. The years wasted on wishing to look like, or act like or be somebody else is a waste of time. Cherish WHAT you have, WHEN you have it; embrace it. You can alter certain elements, but the core materials, the essence of you ARE, is perfectly expressed as is, so best you work with what you've got rather than wish for what you don't.
3) Move past your fears. Go ahead and be afraid, just don't let your fear keep you from doing anything. Look smack dab into the eyes of of the likelihood that you can and will survive almost anything that can or will befall you. Better yet, with the right circumstances, you'll probably flourish, in spite of your hardships, heartaches and heartbreaks. Afraid of looking foolish? Go ahead and appear foolish, ferchrissakes, you ARE foolish. And fabulous. And fortunate. AND really, really resilient. Trust me, I am your future self, and you're going to outrun almost every set-back stepped in front of you. You will survive them, I promise. In fact, you may become a better person for having survived them.
4) Trust your gut. That instinctive little voice that tell you things, knows shit you don't know, so trust it. TRUST IT! Trust it with all your heart, mind and soul. Weird warning to avoid that side street? Listen and take a different route. An urge to check out the job classifieds although you already have a job? Check it out, for fits and giggles. Got some inexplicable urge to put your crazy-spinster-heart on the line, and chase some dude to Seattle? Go for it. Regardless of expected outcome, act on your gut and you'll do what is right. In spite of appearances, it will NOT steer you wrong. Under no circumstances dismiss that gut feeling. It's wisdom in your body that just KNOWS. It knows beyond a shadow of doubt and before and beyond reason. IT JUST KNOWS. So, believe me when I tell you to believe it.
5) Spread the sunshine. Share your good feelings, good thoughts and good fortune with others. And please don't wait for some future moment to share your affections, share them before it's too late. If you love someone, tell them. Tell it to them 2 minutes ago. Life can be harsh at times, (it can be a cold and cruel world) so it's up to us to soften the blow by sharing our warmth.
|Check out the new badge for the +40 Blog Roll. To get your own, just copy and paste the html code on sidebar.|
Speaking of sharing, I've just made a badge for my +40 Blog Roll. Who would have guessed that the barely 20 some list of over forty year old bloggers posted last February, would have grown to over one hundred and counting? Now, there's a badge for the Blog Roll, so if you'd like to put one on your side bar, please feel free to do so! You can see the code on my side bar, but if you need a specific size or some help in putting it on your blog, feel free to contact me, and I'll be happy to help!
And speaking of happy, I'm happy to announce that the Karina Dresses GIVE-AWAY has got a winner! And you can see who won their own Karina dress by clicking HERE.